Begin an LLC in Maryland
To form your Maryland LLC, you’ll begin by submitting Articles of Organization to Maryland’s Department of Assessments & Taxation. Depending on the needs of your business, you may also apply for tax IDs and permits, write an operating agreement, and open a business bank account.
- Create and file your Maryland LLC Articles of Organization
- Get an EIN from the IRS
- Apply for state and county permits and licenses
- Write a Maryland LLC operating agreement
- Open a bank account for your Maryland LLC
Ready to get your business up and running? We can handle your Maryland LLC formation for you. Our formation package is fast and comprehensive—we have everything you need! From resident agent service to custom documents, we’ve got you covered!
Maryland Articles of Organization Requirements
In your Maryland LLC Articles of Organization, you submit basic information about your business, such as your LLC’s name and purpose.
- Company Name: Your Maryland LLC’s name must include one of the following words or abbreviations: Limited Liability Company, L.L.C., L.C., LLC or LC. You can’t choose a name already in use (or misleadingly similar). Use Maryland Business Express’s Business Entity Search to check availability.
- Purpose: Purpose is the reason why your business exists. Most LLCs include a general purpose, one or two sentences indicating that the company is organized to pursue lawful business in Maryland.
- Address: This is the physical address of the LLC, usually the main business office. You must list a street address in Maryland (no P.O. boxes).
- Resident Agent: A Maryland resident agent accepts service of process, legal documents and official notifications on behalf of your Maryland LLC. The minimum requirements are for the resident agent to be a Maryland citizen, corporation or LLC. You could include your own information and signature, but be aware that this information will become a part of the public record. Hire us, and we’ll include our information and signature—and we’ll provide you with a year of hassle-free resident agent service.
- Signatures: The Articles of Organization require two signatures: the resident agent and an individual authorized to form the LLC. These can be the same person, and neither person has to be a member or have any ownership rights in the LLC.
How Do I File Maryland Articles of Organization?
You can file online, by mail, or in person.
To file online, use Maryland Business Express.
- Create a Maryland Business Express Account
Choose “Register Your Business” and “Create Account.” Provide your name, phone number and email. You’ll also need to create a user name and password. You’ll then be redirected to your Account Home.
- Answer Questions about Your Company
Click “Create a New Business Filing” and select “Limited Liability Company.” Select whether you’d prefer to use the online forms or to upload your own documents. If using the online forms, answer the questions and provide the required information.
- Pay the Online Fee
Online filings are automatically considered expedited, so the base fee is $150 ($100 filing fee + $50 expedited fee). There is also an additional service fee of either $3 or 3%.
– eCheck fee: $3 (total filing: $153)
– PayPal or credit card fee: 3% (total filing: $154.50)
Credit cards accepted include Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Documents are processed within 7 business days (average processing time is 1-3 days).
Mail and in-person filings use the same Maryland Articles of Organization form. The minimum filing fee is $100 for standard processing—which takes 4-6 weeks. Yes, WEEKS. Expedited processing by mail ($150) is processed within 7 business days. Mailed submissions are payable by credit card, check or money order.
If you absolutely need your Articles of Organization processed immediately, same-day processing is available for filings hand-delivered during business hours (8:30am-4:30pm) and costs the same as other expedited filings ($150).
Maryland Formation Services
In addition to creating and submitting your Maryland LLC Articles of Organization, we also provide you with the services you need to get your business up and running—at a great price!
We know you don’t have time to wait 4-6 weeks, so we file your Maryland LLC Articles of Organization online, which averages between 1 and 3 days for processing. We charge just $100 for formation services and $49 for our premium resident agent service.
Maryland Filing Fees
Our Formation Service Fee
1 Year Resident Agent Service
We don’t just file your forms and call it a day. In addition to expedited service, our formation package includes EVERYTHING you need to start your business.
- 1-Year Resident Agent Service (Renewals at the Same Low Rate!)
- Instant Access to Services Through Our Secure Online Portal
- Electronic Delivery of Your Documents
- Expert Customer Service Support
- Annual Report Reminders and Compliance Notifications
- Address Privacy—Our Address on Public Records (Not Yours)
- Custom Documents: Operating Agreement, Membership Certificates, Initial Resolutions and More!
Next Steps for Maryland LLCs
After submitting your Maryland LLC Articles of Organization, there are still a few steps to take. You may need an EIN, permits or licenses, and more.
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a federal tax ID issued by the IRS.
Does my Maryland LLC need an EIN?
Some Maryland LLCs will need an EIN. EINs are often requested when opening a business bank account and absolutely necessary for the following situations:
- You have employees
- You file Employment, Excise, or Alcohol/Tobacco/Firearms returns
- You withhold taxes on income (other than wages) paid to a non-resident alien
- You have a Keogh plan
- You are involved in a trust, estate, real estate mortgage investment conduit, non-profit organization, farmer co-op, or are a plan administrator
How do I get an EIN?
Applying for an EIN is free from the IRS. If you want to delegate this to us, however, you can add it on for the cost of our time ($50).
Maryland Permits and Licenses
Maryland doesn’t require a general business license, but there are a variety of state and county licenses and permits for different business types. View a list of Maryland Business Licenses and search by business category.
Maryland LLC Operating Agreement
Many Maryland LLCs will want a written operating agreement. Operating agreements designate the rules and procedures for your LLC, which can prevent or resolve potential member disputes. Agreements cover such topics as member and manager responsibilities, voting rights, disbursements, meetings, and contributions. As part of our formation package, we include a custom operating agreement.
Maryland Annual Report
Maryland requires businesses to submit a report each year to update ownership and contact information.
When is my Maryland Annual Report due?
The report must be submitted or postmarked by April 15th each year.
How do I submit my Maryland Annual Report?
You file online through Maryland Business Express or download a paper form from Maryland’s Department of Assessments & Taxation. Paper forms can be mailed or submitted in person.
How much does it cost?
The filing fee is $300. If filing online, remember that there’s either an additional $3 fee for eChecks or a 3% fee for credit card or PayPal payments.
Maryland Personal Property Return
Maryland has a unique yearly filing called the Maryland Personal Property Tax Return (PPR). Basically, all personal property used, owned, or leased by your business must be reported.
How do I know if I need to file a PPR?
If your LLC owns, leases or uses personal property located in Maryland or if your LLC maintains a Maryland Trader’s License (a state license required to sell goods in Maryland), you MUST file a PPR.
What is personal property?
Personal property includes items such as computers, phones, supplies, inventory, books, machines and furniture. Personal property does not include real estate, property, registered vehicles or intellectual property.
What time period does the Maryland PPR cover?
You’ll report personal property acquired, leased or used in the previous calendar year.
How do I file Maryland’s PPR?
It’s filed together with your Maryland Annual Report.
Advantages of a Maryland LLC
When it comes to operations, LLCs come with considerable freedom to decide what’s best for themselves. Compared to standard business corporations, there are fewer required formalities. There are no state rules obligating your LLC to have annual meetings, meeting minutes or a business hierarchy separating managers from members. Your LLC can easily decide to take or leave these kinds of formalities, giving you the flexibility to run your business your way.
No Double Taxation
Corporations are often hit with the dreaded “double taxation,” where their income is taxed on both the corporate level AND the individual level (when shareholders report profit distributions on their individual tax returns). While profits for LLCs are also taxed on individual members’ returns, LLCs don’t pay a corporate income tax.
Eager to see your Maryland LLC in business? At Maryland Registered Agent Inc, our fast formation service package will get you up and running with quality service at a great price! We’ll handle the formation paperwork, provide you with resident agent service, give you custom documents and more! Sign up today!